OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Diagnosed with vaginitis via ecoli. Had exam and given

Customer Question
amoxicillin. Is this a common...
Diagnosed with vaginitis via ecoli. Had exam and given amoxicillin. Is this a common contaminant? Scared I have a fistula as I have ocd of health issues always afraid I have the worst had hpv cin 1 but has been gone for over 1 year and just had pap in August all normal with sonogram at same time
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 5 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

was this the first time this happened?

Ok, yes this is a common bug for both vaginitis and urinary tract infections.

So I see this quite often.

I wouldn't even consider a fistula unless you had brown discharge or recurrent infections

is this helpful?

Would an internal exam have shown a fistula

Not always. No

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

What would cause one

Usually something like Crohn's disease or prior surgery

OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

I see you have asked for another expert to help you

yes, a vaginal examination would have seen a fistula

a fistula if it was there would cause urine or stool to come out of your vagina

ecoli is a common contaminant bacteria which can spread into the vagina

it usually happens when you don't wipe clean after a bowel momvement

and if a little stool is left behind on the outside

let me know if you have questions.

Have end of period barely anything put tampon in saw a little brown after bowel movement not sure if old blood since period stopped two days ago or it’s feces !
Can I do the charcoal test with a tampon

no, brown discharge would be old blood coming from uterus

or from the infection

it would not be feces.

I would trust your doctor's vaginal exam which did not show a fistula

If I had cin 1 size of a 1/3 of a dime but went away normal paps for over a year last one being mid August and sonogram lining 4 mm 7/31 how likely something bad would cause a fistula

you have a zero percent chance those issue would cause a fistula

an ultrasound would have seen a fistula.

a gyn exam would have seen a fistula

you don't have a fistula

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Here’s report

yes, I see the positive ecoli infection

this doesn't mean you have a fistula

you can get ecoli in the vagina without having a fistula

Is this a common infection and what does it mean when I negative lactobacilli

this ecoli is a common infection.

lactobacilli is another type of infection

which you don't have.

I thought if you are low on lactobacilli it means you have an infection . Also I heard actually getting an infection vaginally with E.coli is rare usually it’s just there so why do I have it

you may not be cleaning yourself properly after bowel movement

you should take a probiotic and eat more yogurt to help add good bacteria into your bowels and vagina.

the anus is pretty close to the posterior vagina and so a small bit of bacteria can get into the vagina easily

you wouldn’t worry about this ? I am on amoxicillin 3 Times a day 5 days

I would not worry

I would take a probiotic daily if you are taking amoxicillin

make sure you take the amoxicillin with food in your stomach already.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor