OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had laparoscopic surgery about six weeks ago and I still…

Customer Question
I had laparoscopic surgery about...
I had laparoscopic surgery about six weeks ago and I still have these two holes that sometimes leak bloody liquid and it is tender to the touch. I have attached a picture. Is this normal
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually the picture that you have attached indicates that the area is infected and you may have a collection of fluid underneath the skin given its appearance which would be confirmed on a clinical examination or an ultrasound. Usually after SIX weeks of laproscopic surgery, this should NOT be a problem. Secondly the area should not be this red after six weeks, the color and the discharge of fluids from the area does indicate that there is likely to be an infection. If this is the case then the fluid needs to be aspirated from the area and sent for a culture and you should also be started on antibiotics to get rid of the infection.

I would suggest that you get this evaluated by visiting your doctor and by getting an ultrasound done. But to answer your question, NO this is not normal.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I went to the doctor yesterday and was told that it doesn’t look to bad for being six weeks out. The area around the incision is tender to the touch. I have attached a picture from this morning. Does it still look as bad, should I go to the ER and make them do something?

What is the time difference in between the two pictures, because the second one is much better, it looks less inflamed and the raised area is also not as visible in the new picture.

The first one was last night and the one I just sent I just took

Was there some increased discharge overnight? Or was the previous picture (last night) taken after you touched or pressed the area significantly?

Yeah there was increased discharge last night.

That explains it, the retained fluid inside the wound was expelled out and that led to improvement in the inflammation as well as its appearance. Given the new development and improvement of the appearance i think you can wait another couple of days, just observe the situation and see if the discharge resolves and that the wound continues to improve or not.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor