OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Im concerned about endometriosis. I haven't had anything…

Customer Question
Im concerned about endometriosis ...

Im concerned about endometriosis

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I haven't had anything done. I'm scared to tell my mom about what's been happening. She had it though and i know its hereditary.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Asthma

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Can you please tell me what's happening and what symptoms you've been having?

I have had some vaginal swelling and pain. Its severely uncomfortable and sometimes makes it hard to move. When there is penetration the swelling increases and the area becomes very dry and I sometimes begin bleeding. The vaginal fluids are very thick and white. something i noticed not too long ago is that the opening to the vagina has turned a white color. It used to be pink.

Have you been sexually active more than before?

Also, is the swelling on both sides or just one side?

Swelling is on both sides and I'm less sexually active than before. The last time I had sex was February 7th.

The symptoms you are describing don't exactly correspond with endometriosis. The more likely explanation is endometrial polyp. This isn't anything dangerous but causes more painful interecourse and heavier bleeding with intercourse.

As for the vaginal skin looking a little more white, as you get older the skin will become less red and as you are between your periods, the skin will also appear less red/pink.

Whats the correlation between endometriosis and endometrial polyp.?

There is no correlation fortunately. Endometriosis causes spotting between periods and heavy bleeding and a lot of pelvic pain. And endometrial polyps cause more of the symptoms you are describing.

Your gynecologist can check for polyps quite easily during an exam.

Can they cause issues with pregnancy in the future?

No, not at all.

It's something that can either be left alone or your doctor can remove the polyp.

But it would decrease your chance of pregnancy.

With endometriosis some women can have a harder time getting pregnant. But with today's treatments and medications 99% of women with endometriosis can get pregnant without any problems.

My mom was put in the hospital for 2 weeks with me because of her endometriosis.

That's not a common occurrence with endometriosis. I have treated many patients with EM and I've never had a single hospitalization in my career. It's possible but incredibly rare.

While she was pregnant I mean. She has issues with all her pregnancies. After I was born she got her uterus removed.

Oh sure, that's definitely a possibility. But again, things have advanced quite a bit. We are able to even manage pregnancies better. And since we aren't sure you have endometriosis, hopefully you'll never have it and that's one less thing to worry about.

Could being raped a few years ago cause any of this?

It depends on how severe the rape was and if any damage occurred. If that's the case then your doctors at the time would have been able to tell due to damage to the uterus. But it's less likely unless the rapist used objects.

Inertial bruising and tearing.

So most likely the damage was to the outside and less likely for there to be damage to the cervix or the uterus. And so it's less likely that the symptoms you are having now would be related to the rape.

Okay

I hope that your gynecologist will be able to tell you exactly what the cause is during the next visit. Again, I suspect endometrial polyp. Do your own research on it and I think you'll find some useful information.

You can always post any followup questions on this question string for free in the future.

Hope I gave you a 5-star service.

Let me know if you have any other questions.