OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week Thursdayi msg'ed you about my baby being 6 w 1 d…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi, last week...
Second opinion] Hi, last week Thursdayi msg'ed you about my baby being 6 w 1 d and my hcg went down but the doc saw a low heart beat. That day they took another blood test and they called me on Friday telling me that the hcg went up but only 300 instead doubling. So went up 3500 to 3800.
Today - Monday- i had another Ultrasound appt and we were ready not to see the heart beat as my doctor thought that the pregnancy is not viable. But this am, there was a heartbeat not that slow.. 110 and baby measured 6 w 2d instead of 6 w 4 d but still growth. The doctor was shocked... and he didn't want to look at HCG anymore. i am schedledued for another US a week from now. I don't know what to make of this situation now.... what are your thoughts and experiences?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/13/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hi, I’m Dr. Manos M.D., board certified obgyn for many years. All that matters now is growth on ultrasound and a heart rate over 100 bpm. By 16 wks it will be 120 bpm at lower limit. I’d be reassured about the pregnancy and probably would have scheduled the next ultrasound in 2 wks. Still with heart rate above 100 bpm, that’s good.
Thank you. How about the HCG dropping and going back up? But not doubling... my HCG last Thursday was around 3800 when I was measured 6 w 1 d. My doc told me that baby's heart rate should be around 150-160 right now... and HCG not doubling and only rising very little is an impending miscarriage with the low heart beat. I am very worried.. please shed light to the situation
You have a fetus that is viable with a heart rate over 100 bpm. Like I said, the rate will increase to 120-160 bpm as the fetus grows. The heart is too small to beat much more than 100-110 bpm at 7 or so weeks. The HCG doubling in 48 hours is what we expect until we see the fetus and there other factors of the ultrasound that your doctor may not have informed you about such as gestational sac diameter and the appearance and size of the yolk sac. If this wasn’t told to you, then they must be normal looking. I can’t reduce your worry, but so far you’re ok. You probably have not had any bleeding that would indicate trouble. I did thousands of ultrasounds over the years and never left the patient with many questions. I helped create the tables that are used for measuring the fetus and saw that if something didn’t seem right on ultrasound we noticed that HCG doubling was reassuring but that many normal pregnancies may not double like expected. Thanks again for using Justanswer and trust that you’re doing well.