OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week Thursdayi msg'ed you about my baby being 6 w 1 d…

Customer Question
Hi, last week Thursdayi msg'ed...
Hi, last week Thursdayi msg'ed you about my baby being 6 w 1 d and my hcg went down but the doc saw a low heart beat. That day they took another blood test and they called me on Friday telling me that the hcg went up but only 300 instead doubling. So went up 3500 to 3800.
Today - Monday- i had another Ultrasound appt and we were ready not to see the heart beat as my doctor thought that the pregnancy is not viable. But this am, there was a heartbeat not that slow.. 110 and baby measured 6 w 2d instead of 6 w 4 d but still growth. The doctor was shocked... and he didn't want to look at HCG anymore. i am schedledued for another US a week from now. I don't know what to make of this situation now.... what are your thoughts and experiences?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. There's no reason to check hcg after a fetus with a heartbeat is seen. 110 is not abnormal for 6 weeks. It sounds like you may be getting poor quality ultrasounds. I would recommend waiting until 8 weeks to repeat the scan.
How about the HCG? Last week i was told my HCG dropped and then it went up but went up only 300 not doubled.
I am told that based on numbers HCG shows, slow heartbeat and measuring few days behind (my last period was Sept 25th), my pregnancy is not viable and impending miscarriage.
Doesn't sound plausible. The heartbeat is normal, not slow. I would be optimistic at thispoint as long as youre not bleeding. A 6 week pregnancy with a hr of 110 is normal. Not an impending miscarriage.
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD