OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had laparoscopic surgery on October 5th to remove a

Customer Question
ovarian cyst as well as...
I had laparoscopic surgery on October 5th to remove a ovarian cyst as well as scrape out endometriosis and fix a small umbilical hernia. There seems to be three small holes in my incision that won’t heal and leak clear fluids. There is one for rum that is leaking some blood and puss looking fluid. What could be causing these to not heal? I was put in an antibiotic that I finished about two weeks ago. I have attached a picture of what it looks like today. The wholes are kinda hard to see
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/13/2017
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 8 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

are they painful?

The holes are not painful. The muscles around the left side of my belly are tender some days

Ok

honestly this looks pretty good for about a month later

it will fade over time

I don't think there is anything wrong with that skin

Ok. So the wholes leaking fluid and the one leaking blood and puss like fluid is ok?

leaking fluid is ok.

leaking blood and pus is not ok

The one leaking blood and puss like fluid is the one by the red spot of skin

then you probably have an abscess underneath it

What is treatment for an abscess?

usually drainage

Do they do that in office or is it another surgery?

usually in the office

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I have a follow up appointment on Wednesday. Is that soon enough to deal with it or should I go to the ER

Yes, that is soon enough

I'm sorry you are going through this

it doesn't look like much from the skin but the fact that it is draining blood and pus is huge

Your saying the other two holes will close themselves up and are no big deal? Also the soar muscles around it some days are normal?

Yes, those holes should close

the sore muscles could be infection

that is possible

I think you need to ask for a CAT scan to make sure there is no abscess

Like the muscles could be infected? Also could there be an abscess deeper in?

sometimes the abscess can penetrate quite deep

The muscles just started getting sore again yesterday after being good for a few weeks. The blood and puss also started yesterday. If I can get my doctor to do a CT scan it will take a few weeks to get one done am I better off to go to the ER for the CT scan to make sure there is no abscess? Or can it wait?

Well if your doctor won't do a cat scan or it will take a while then I would just go to ER

She might be willing I just wasn’t sure if it should wait a few weeks or if it’s more urgent to get the CT done

if the pain is new recently and started with the pus then I would say go to ER

that strongly indicates infection

I didn't know the pain just came back

Yeah it just started yesterday morning. Would an abscess go that deep that quick?

usually the abscess has been brewing for a while and just causes pain when its big

I went to the ER on October 29th cause the other side of the incision was infected and the muscles were sore. They gave me an antibiotic and it all cleared up and then yesterday the muscles started hurting again and the hole started leaking blood and puss.

they antibiotic might have just controlled the abscess for a while

You definitely need a CAT Scan

How urgent is it that I get to the ER and get the CT scan? I live about 30 minutes one way to the hospital
I think you should go tonight or tomorrow AM
Could there be my other reasone why those muscles are sore again?

I don't think so. Unless you worked hard working out or outside and strained muscles

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply :)