OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to send you the results from my recent

Customer Question
Hello! I would like to...
Hello! I would like to send you the results from my recent ultrasound! Apparently, I might have an endometrial polyp. I'm now extremely worried about it being endometrial cancer. I know the chances are slim, but was hoping that you might be able to fine tooth comb what was written and provide me with some more information. I'm losing sleep with worrying.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/11/2017
OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Please type in the full report

EXAM# ***** RESULT
OSS000083002 US/ENDOVAG/TRANSVAG OBSTETRICALINDICATION: 32-year-old female with heavy menses, left-sided pelvic
pain. LMP 10/16/2017. Negative beta-hCG 10/20/2017.COMPARISON: Early OB Ultrasound 09/25/2014. Pelvic ultrasound
03/29/2010.PELVIC ULTRASOUND: Multiple transabdominal and endovaginal ultrasound
images of the pelvis were obtained by a sonographer and submitted for
review.Retropositioned uterus measuring 9 x 6 x 5 cm. Thickened endometrial
echo complex measuring up to 1.7 cm. 1.6 x 1.4 x 1.2 cm ovoid
isoechoic region/lesion within the fundal portion of the endometrium,
may represent an endometrial polyp. No internal flow on single color
image.Right ovary measures 3.8 x 1.8 x 1.2 cm and is unremarkable. Left
ovary measures 4.2 x 2.9 x 2.3 cm and is also unremarkable. No
suspicious adnexal mass. Trace free fluid in the pelvis, likely
physiologic.IMPRESSION:1.6 cm ovoid lesion within the fundal portion of the endometrial
canal, most suggestive of endometrial polyp.* Final *
Dictated By: SHARP MD, SARIYAA (11/04/2017 13:23)
Signed By: SHARP MD, SARIYAA (11/04/2017 13:23)

OK, yes sounds like a typical polyp.

Most are benign.

Some can be cancer.

A biopsy takes care of this issue.

It is not difficult and done with a catheter.

Your OB can do it.

Here is a good , concise write up by the mayo clinic....see this link.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/uterine-polyps/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20027472

Ok, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks.

I’m just curious if the malignant ones appear different on the ultrasound? This was performed this past Saturday and I have still not heard back from my gynecologist. Would they have already notified me if something didn’t appear right??

Malignant ones tend to be ulcerated or bleed more, but that is not reliable.

They are not an emergency, so I think your doctor will simply schedule a biopsy.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

From the way this is described, and the size, I think it is benign most likely.

Thank you very much! Can they develop quickly sometimes? Can they tell if it is ulcerative on the ultrasound? Also, is it possible that it may go away on its own?

No, visual inspection must be done.

They do not develop quickly./

They do not go away on their own.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician