OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had a HSG which showed my right tube dilated but…

Customer Question
I recently had a...

I recently had a HSG which showed my right tube dilated but the dye eventually came out the other end. I have also had two miscarriages previously which also left me with a small cyst on my right ovary. I always seem to ovulate with my right ovary. My left tube was perfectly fine. What does that mean for me?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Never irregular - always normal. It was maybe like 6 months to a year ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My sister also had a few miscarriages. She has APS and I recently had an abnormal test for lupus anticoagulant which may have caused my two miscarriages previously this year.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
My sister successfully had a baby with the help of blood thinners and baby aspirin which would probably be the same treatment for me. I am concerned about how the dilated tube plays into this
11/11/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with maintaining pregnancy. If you have discovered that you have a dilated fallopian tube, this is usually found during a medical workup for infertility. A dilated fallopian tube can be caused by several different things. However, the most common is usually some scarring in the tube, generally from a prior infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease, which is one of the leading causes of trouble with fertility. The fact that this only affects one of your fallopian tubes is encouraging, but I think you will need to make an appointment with the fertility doctor/ Gyn OBS who is managing your case to get their exact opinion on what it means and what the next steps are.

The treatment is based basically on the cause of dilated tube , which could be an infection, endometriosis etc

If the dye came out the other end - wouldn’t it clear up any blockage in the tube and allow any fluid to drain out which would cause the dilation?

No the test is basically more diagnostic rather then therapeutic. The dye reaching the other end meant that it isnt totally blocked but only narrowed

If your fallopian tubes are blocked by small amounts of scar tissue or adhesions, your doctor can use laparoscopic surgery to remove the blockage and open the tubes. If your fallopian tubes are blocked by large amounts of scar tissue or adhesions, treatment to remove the blockages may not be possible.

Surgery to repair tubes damaged an infection may be an option. If a blockage is caused because part of the fallopian tube is damaged, a surgeon can remove the damaged part and connect the two healthy parts.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Hope it was useful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Can this be treated by medication? Is it possible that the tube is just inflamed and does not have any scar tissue or damage?

It could be due to inflammation without scarring. It depends upon the underlying cause ,if its an active infection it might need a course of antibiotics

When i had the miscarriage earlier this year about three months ago and the first year in January, ectopic pregnancy was ruled out for both. I had a small cyst as well on my ovary after both which seemed to be stable. Is it true to assume that my tube was fine since I did get pregnant previously and this is fairly recent? I always seem to ovulate from my right ovary.

Its possible to get pregnant with narrowed tubes rather then blocked ones so one cant exactly be sure about when exactly it happened.

Are doctors able to view fallopian tubes via an ultrasound?

Yes but obviously HSG is a much more accurate test to see the patency of tubes. Ultrasound would only show the tubes from outside

the serial ultrasounds that i did have would not have shown if my fallopian tubes were not the normal size?

Those would show the size of tubes but not the inner patency of the tubes . Like it would show contracted tubes but would not tell us about whether or not these are clogged

Hope it was useful.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor