OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had laparoscopic abdominal surgery back on October 5th. I…

Customer Question
I had laparoscopic abdominal surgery...
I had laparoscopic abdominal surgery back on October 5th. I went back to the ER almost two weeks ago and they gave me antibiotics for the infection in my incision. Now a week after the antibiotics a little whole has appeared along with a lump and when I press on the lump some blood comes out of the whole. What should I do with that?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/11/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.

Thanks for your question.
I understand that you have been waiting for an answer for a long time.
I just came online and so that your question is lying unanswered and I am answering it as soon as possible.
I suspect that you have a persistent infection in the surgical wound.
You need to get back to your surgeon and have your wound examined.
They may also need to take a swab from your wound to test for culture and sensitivity to know what bacteria is causing the infection and what antibiotics would be effective against that bacteria.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Here is a picture. Is there anything I can do until I have an appointment with her on Wednesday?
Thanks for the photo. The area seems inflamed to me which would suggest an underlying infection.
I would not suggest any topical or oral antibiotic use at this moment as that can interfere with the results of culture sensitivity testing for bacteria.
Ok. Do I need to be seen sooner than Wednesday? My other option is the ER
If it is not very painful and there is only slight amount of discharge you can wait till your appointment.
You need to go to ER if the inflamed area starts spreading and if the pain increases or if you become febrile.
Would there be any other reason that I would keep getting infections and the incision isn’t healing very fast

At times a person's immune status may be lower.It can happen due to a chronic condition like diabetes or a habit like smoking.Having poor nutrition can also lower the immune status.

In some cases, we cannot pinpoint any underlying cause for increased risk of infections.

Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor