OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I️ was tested negative for HSV1 + HSV2, but I’m unsure of my…

Customer Question
I️ was tested negative for...
I️ was tested negative for HSV1 + HSV2, but I’m unsure of my partner’s status. But I️ will assume he’s positive for these questions:1. Would I️ be sufficiently protected for intercourse with a condom?2. Would it be ok to go down on my partner (M) unprotected ? Secondly, would it be okay for my partner to go down on me (F) unprotected?3. Lastly, is it safe to touch my partner’s genitals with my hands if I️ wash my hands after? And can he touch mine with his hand if has the virus? *From what I️ understand, the virus is passed by contact but only orally, via genitals, or anally.In other words, what’s safe contact for both of us?Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/9/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello.

1. Yes, a condom provides excellent protection, though these viruses can be transmitted by saliva (HSV1 mainly) and skin to skin contact (HSV1, 2).

2. These viruses can be transmitted by saliva and/or skin to skin, so there is a higher risk.

3. Touching is safe if the hands are cleaned carefully before and soon after contact. An exception would be with open wounds on the hands.

4. Keep in mind that these viruses, in spite of the stigma, are benign. They may cause lesions from time to time (HSV1 cold sores and HSV2 genital ulcers) but do not hurt people except in rare cases. One exception is that babies passing through the birth canal can pick up herpes if the mother has it and is shedding the virus.

So, use a condom for vaginal and oral contact, keep your hands clean, wipe up secretions on skin as soon as possible...if you want to be safe.

Which is safer, option 1 (protected intercourse) or option 3 (cleaning before/after touching)? Sounds like option 2 is the riskiest.

Option 1 is safer. Both are even safer. :-)

Does this make sense?

Out of curiosity, why is option 1 safer than option 3?
Wouldn’t genital to genital contact (albeit protected) be more risky than hand to genital contact?

Genital to genital contact would be riskier if the condom is not used properly. If used properly and there is no direct contact between the penis and vagina (because a layer of rubber is between them), they never really touch, so there is no risk of transmission. If secretions get on the skin outside the condom (M or F), the area would need to be cleaned within a reasonable time to reduce chance of transmission through the skin.

On the other hand, a hand that has seminal fluid (or vaginal fluid) on it, could be directly transmitting the virus to the genitals of the other person with touch, because there is no barrier between them. Keeping the hands clean before and after reduces the risk but not like the condom does.

Hello. If you have any additional questions please let me know, I would be happy to help further.

If not, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

This is the only way physician experts on this site get credit for helping patients.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob