OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question, I am on birth control, belara, and on the…

I have a question ...

I have a question

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I am on birth control, belara, and on the 4th day I miss it and took it 15 hours late, then on the 5th day i had unprotected sex and on the 6th day I missed belara again and took it 12 hours later. Since that happened I was freaking out and took plan b on the 7th day. After that, i have been taking my birth control on time. But on the 11th had unprotected sex again and after that i read that if you are on birth control and take plan b you should not have unprotected sex until 7 days later. So on the 15th day i took plan b again because i was freaking out.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Good health

11/8/2017
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. You should stop your birth control for 7 days. You should use condoms or avoid sex. In seven days you should start a new pack. When it has been 14 days since your last episode of unprotected sex, you should take a pregnancy test. For future reference please refer to the instructions in your birth control. You are protected when you take your pill 12 or 15 hours later. It is completely UNNECESSARY to take plan b in this instance and just interferes with the pill. Taking a pill late once is NOT considered unprotected sex. Missing 2 pills in a row or starting the package late is considered unprotected and your pill is not effective.
i should stop taking belara?
by taking all those hormones does it mean i did not ovulate this cycle?
I am most concern by day 11th unprotected sex? should i be? what are the chances that i ovulated on the 10th or 11th after taking the pill and plan b?
hello?
how does plan b interferes with the pill? am i less covered?
hi
hi?
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr David

yes, you should stop taking your birth control pill pack balara for 7 days after your plan b pill

and use condoms

and then after 7 days, start a new pack of balara and take it daily

you most likely still ovulated. you don't need to be worried about the day 11 unprotected sex. you took plan B again, which you didn't have to do.

let me know if you have questions.

if i did still ovulate, why should i worried about de day 11 sex?

because the prior plan B treatment affected your hormones to prevent implantation and pregnancy.

because you taking birth control pills 12-15 hours before prevents your pregnancy.

sorry i ask the wrong question, if i did still ovulate, why shouldn't i be worried about de day 11 sex? if i did ovulate when is the best estimate that it happened?

because of your birth control pills that you could and the plan B that you took prior still work in your body's hormone system to prevent pregnancy for 1-2 weeks after use.

you can go back on birth control pills after 7 days

it can be difficult to impossible to tell when and if you ovulated.

if plan b delays ovulation and i was still taking belara (which prevents ovulation) when did i ovulate?
i am sorry to be so anxious i have so many questions
also given all these what are the chances of me being pregnant

hormone pills like plan B and birth control pills work by preventing ovulation

but if you did ovulate, they also prevent implantation of the egg.

your chance of pregnancy is 0%

plan B and birth control pills did not interfere with each other?

no, they will not make each other ineffective

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

even though it was a huge hormone dose to my body and I know it was wrong, with all that hormone that i took I can be petty sure i am not pregnant? not even from the day 11 sex?

100% you are not pregnant.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor