OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a septated uterus. Had surgery to remove septum. Got…

Customer Question
I had a septated uterus...
I had a septated uterus. Had surgery to remove septum. Got pregnant with twins. Had twins naturally (vaginal birth), hemorrhage afterwards, almost needed a transfusion but didn't. Went home 2 days after. 7 years later, had a miscarriage, got pregnant first ovulation cycle. Now I'm 20 weeks find out I have partial placenta previa. Doctor said she was about 95 percent sure the placenta would move up. My question is should I opt for a c section even if the placenta does move up? Is it safer to have a c-section because I have already experienced hemorrhaging? Any advice is appreciated. I'm scared to death. I don't want a c-section but I'm scared of bleeding and then not getting to me in time especially if I am covered with sheets and can't feel anything because of epidural.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Forgot to mention after septum my uterus is now bicornuate, they told me it is shapes like a heart.
11/6/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. 95% of placenta previa will move prior to the third trimester. With a bicornuate uterus that may be slightly less likely. There's no indication at all for c section if the placenta is normal in the third trimester. It does not prevent post partum hemorrhage, which likely occurred as a result of the twin pregnancy. Identifying post partum hemorrhage is the responsibility of the medical team. Its not for you to identify anyway and it is not picked up by looking at the sheets. Your nurse and dr will be monitoring your vital signs and the uterus closedly. A c section is always more risky than a vaginal delivery. For both you and the baby
Thank you, I found the hemorrhage under my sheets last time in post op. It was a mountain of blood and I'm freaked out now. How closely would you monitor me? I'm almost 21 weeks, how soon would you do next ultra sound. Would they have seen placenta accreta if I had that also? Just worried about scarring from septum surgery.
The next ultrasound does not need to be done until 28-32 weeks. There's no intervention anyway. Placenta accreta is usually seen by ultrasound but not always. Its unlikely that your placenta is implanted on the scar if its close to the cervix
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD