OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a blockage in my vagina that makes intercourse

I have a blockage...

I have a blockage in my vagina that makes intercourse difficult. I am in menopause, and the doctor has prescribed premarin cream. I have been using it a couple of months. My urethra was inverted, and it is inside now. What can be done for the blockage of skin?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

My overall health is good. I am 69 and I have been in menopause, since my early 40;s.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing can think of.

11/2/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Sometimes women develop a condition called vaginismus (more info here) where the muscular walls of the vagina are too spastic and tense to relax and allow intercourse. There's another condition called vaginal atrophy (more info here) which commonly affects women in menopause where the tissues become thin, dry, and tight, making intercourse uncomfortable. The Premarin cream can help with the atrophy of the overlying tissues but if the underlying muscles are still tense, it can indeed feel like there's an obstruction there when you have sex.

Without examining you myself it's hard to determine which of the two problems you have. It's also possible that you have both issues, and neither is being adequately treated. If you want to work on the vaginismus, I would recommend using vaginal dilators (available on that website I linked to earlier) which are basically vaginal inserts that you practice inserting and removing every night to help relax the vaginal opening. If the atrophy is the bigger issue, you may need a treatment besides the Premarin cream, like an alternative vaginal estrogen. There's also a laser therapy.

Again, I would bring up the concern with your doc and have a good and thorough exam to try to determine exactly what the problem is. Let your doc know that the Premarin cream seems to have helped your tissues but you still feel a blockage when you try to have sex.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN