OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My period is 11 days late, I have taken 2 pregnancy test one…

My period is 11...

My period is 11 days late, I have taken 2 pregnancy test one at home which was positive, and then the Clinic did one and it was neative. and they refused to talk about why I am almost 2 weeks late. What should I do

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No pain and since my last pregnancy 7 years ago I am a 28 to 30 day cycle.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Last 2 pregnancies I had gestational diabetes, and my last deliver was an emergency C-section due to an a plactenal abuption

11/1/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

How old are you? When did you do the home test? Is it possible for you to repeat the home test with a different pregnancy test? Did you have unprotected sex after your last menstrual period? Are you trying to conceive?

I am 44 years old, I did the first test late afternoon 5 days after my period was late. No we are not trying to conceive. And yes I have had unprotected sex since my last cycle.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

So are you certain that the test was positive? When was the test at the clinic done? Is this the first time that your period is late? Or have you been having such abnormal menstrual cycles in the past few months?

I am sure the HPT was positive. The teat at the clinic was latenin the day. And no this is the first time since my last pregnancy 7 years ago I am late

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It is possible that you are pregnant with a positive HPT. The test at the clinic may have been a false negative. The only way to prove this is the do an HPT again and based on the result an accurate diagnosis is possible. If your HPT test this time turns out to be negative then it is possible that your previous HPT was falsely positive and inaccurate.

The other possible causes for a delayed period is the beginning of perimenopause which occurs, on average, about four years before actual menopause.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor