OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just noticed that the edge of my cervix feels a little…

Hello - I just...

Hello - I just noticed that the edge of my cervix feels a little rough and I’ve never felt that before. It’s been severa years since I’ve had an exam and am sure I need to have one but thought I could get a little direction or an answer... thank u

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms at all. By the way I’m 54 years old

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

In 2008 I had a partial hysterectomy

10/27/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. So just to clarify - your uterus was removed but the cervix was left in place, correct? Any abnormal paps before? Any problems with intercourse? Any dryness or itching?

I believe so...I have never had any abnormal paps and no problems with either intercourse, dryness or itching. It just felt odd feeling a little roughness around the edge of what I think is my cervix; the rounded area up inside the vagina. I appreciate your help.

You are at an age where as we start to lose our female hormones, the tissues of the vagina and sometimes the cervix can start to lose their suppleness and softness. This could be just related to age. Now that being said, without doing an exam on you it's impossible to tell. It sounds like, if you do indeed still have your cervix, you are well due for a pap smear. That way you can make sure that it is indeed your cervix that you're feeling.

Oh ok well that would make sense...I wasn't aware that the cervix would be taken out even with a partial hysterectomy? I will absolutely make an appointment with an OBGYN near me. We moved to Tucson, AZ recently and I haven't had a chance to connect with a new doctor near me. Thank you so much for your thoughts! Regards, Linda

You are welcome. If you are satisfied with the response provided, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN