OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Ovulation kit I was taking ovulation test and shows I

Ovulation kit I was taking ovulation...
Ovulation kit
I was taking ovulation test and shows I ovulated around 9th-12th. I didn’t have a previous period. Could they have picked up I was pregnant or would they work similar to a pregnancy test and picked it up 6 days prior to a period occurring. My periods were irregular.
10/24/2017
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are concerned about a pregnancy. An "Ovulation" test indicates an elevation in a hormone called Luteinizing hormone that occurs 24-48 hours before release of your egg and indicates the best time to try to get pregnant. If you were pregnant at the time of the test, it would not indicate pregnancy, if positive, but that your ovary is ready to release an egg. Now if you had unprotected sex between the 9th and 12th, then there is a possibility of you being pregnant. To confirm, may I suggest you take a home urine pregnancy test 8-10 days after your next anticipated period. If you did not have unprotected sex, then your chances of pregnancy are zero.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Wel ovulation test can get a positive as well if I was already pregnant. That what I was saying.

It is possible, but is not accurate. That's why I suggested the home pregnancy test. The ovulation test evaluates a different hormone that only indicates ovulation, not pregnancy.

RIGHT but I asked how could I tell a difference? Does it pick it up earlier like a pregnancy test or no??

No, it does not pick up an early preg***** *****ke a urine or blood pregnancy test does.

Another question can an early ultrasound at 6-8 weeks be off by 2 weeks?

HCG or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin is the hormone measured to determine pregnancy. LH or Luteinizing Hormone is what determines ovulation.

Ultrasound at 6-8 weeks is accurate to plus or minus 3-5 days, not 2 weeks.

if I received 4 positive ovulation test strips, why would that be. 9-12th??

Positive Ovulation tests indicate when you will pass an egg from your ovary. Since you took the tests between the 9th and 12th of the month, those days would give you your best chance to become pregnant. This test would not indicate that you were already pregnant.

If you had sex during the 9th and 12th, of September, you may very well be pregnant and you would be about 6 weeks pregnant at this time.

Ok. Are prenatal paternity test accurate that are non invasive?

The current non-invasive testing is accurate, about 99%.

HAVE you heard of ravgen? I don’t see any reviews on them and wondering how they are.

Ravgen is a commercial lab that has a non-invasive test claiming to be >99% accurate. I can only tell you that they do not have FDA approval. There are many non-invasive tests available from different companies and all claim to be at least 99% accurate

Are any FDA approved? Have you heard anything incorrect about ravgen??

Nothing adverse about Ravgen. None of these labs are FDA approved, but the results have been accepted in the courts for paternity. So, I must assume you can rely on the results.

Positive rating please.

Are prenatal the same as post natal
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hi, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn practiced for over 35 years. I can respond shortly.
Ravgen is a company that was formed around 2000 and appears to have developers that are cutting edge in DNA technology. They can test a women’s blood between 8-12 weeks of pregnancy and isolate fetal DNA fragments and match the patterns to DNA from males and determine the putative father. They reported a study taking 30 pregnant women and drawing their blood and matching the fetal DNA with known fathers and DNA samples from non-fathers. All 30 women’s samples matched the known males. This was reported in an article in the New England Medical Journal. A date of conception can be determined by early ultrasound measurement but only to a range of dates. There are cases where a woman can’t be sure of the identity of the father so a Ravgen noninvasive test could be reliable. Ravgen is not fda approved as more studies need be reported. A woman can choose how to determine the identity of the father by ultrasound data in the first few months of pregnancy and dna samples where the males agreed to a test of his blood to match or exclude him from being the partner. I hope this answers your concern.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN