OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having irregular bleeding while on birth control pills.

I am having irregular...

I am having irregular bleeding while on birth control pills. I haven't been consistent the past few months, should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take oath-tricycline lo, vitamins and some herbal supplements. But i've been taking all these same items for years

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 48 years old and been on birth control for 30 years, with the exception of having my two children. I skipped a month and just started again on 10/8

Skipped birth control pills entirely the month of September
Period started on Sunday 10/1, but I did not start taking my pill until the following Sunday 10/8
Today, I forgot to take my pill until 9pm. When I went to the bathroom, I noticed I had blood that had soaked through a panty liner. When I wiped, it was bright red and a little think/clotty
10/18/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Are you up to date on your pap smear?

I will be do in another 30 days
Is it possible that my hormones are just out of whack and I'm re-adjusting to the pill?

Ok gotcha. I would definitely make an appointment for your annual exam then.

The irregular bleeding could be because of intermittently starting and stopping the pills. I tell patients that once you restart the pills it could take a few weeks for your cycles to regulate. It's also very common at your age for bleeding to become irregular, as the hormones start to change as menopause begins to approach.

Ok. Then I will watch cautiously and go ahead and schedule my annual exam. They usually like to wait until 10-14 days after the end of the last menstrual cycle--so, should I just keep taking my bcp and see if I get another cycle on schedule?

You've already been on the pills for 9 days so I'd just stick with them for now. I would go even if you're still bleeding; in our office we're still able to collect paps and do whatever testing we need even if you're bleeding, so I imagine most offices are similar.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
ok. Thank you for your advice. I will call tomorrow.
Best, L