OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Painful sex. I am 59. Is there anything I can do? I don't…

Customer Question
Painful sex. I am...

Painful sex. I am 59. Is there anything I can do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I don't have sex very often but have a longtime friend and we sometimes go on trips together. The last time was beginning of September. We only tried it once. It got better but was extremely painful at first.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. I have 2 grown children. No gyn issues. Have one kidney that I lost in childhood and mild hypertension. On medication but everything is good (well monitored).

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
10/17/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Did you try any lubricant?

Dyspareunia or painful intercourse is a common complaint after menopause because of decreased lubrication and/or narrowing of the vagina. The vaginal mucosa (internal lining) also atrophy (decreased function). Such problems can be overcome with systemic estrogen or estrogen creams applied to the vagina. The other alternative is non hormonal vaginal lubricants which are quite helpful. Water based vaginal lubricants are better. Following lubricants can be tried;

1) Polycarbophil (Reptens)

2) Astroglide (a gel) and

3) Lubrin (a suppository)

4) KY jelly

As we discussed, you may consider HRT.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., obgyn. I’d like to add additional information. An important factor with sexual intimacy is the female version of an erection. A male has an erection and a woman has the release of natural lubricating secretions that reduces the pain issue. A man needs to realize the importance of a woman’s arousal phase which includes kissing and fondling. The male can feel the production of the natural lubrication either genitally or by softly feeling manually and moving the tissue near the clitoris. Artificial lubricants don’t work long enough during the activity to be worth using. A woman always has the arousal mechanism that also includes the thoughts in a woman’s mind. I hope this helps.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN