OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 in mid August. So far I…

Hi,I was recently diagnosed with...
Hi,I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 in mid August. So far I have only had the first outbreak who he as pretty bad. I have been taking daily Valtrex and have not had another outbreak. I wonder if outbreaks can occur without the genital outbreak? I had another sort of viral infection with extreme joint pain in my knees, extreme fatigue, possible fever, canker sore on my tongue, night sweat, and frequent bowel movements . I thought maybe HIV, but I took the RNA test with a negative result (but I'm still paranoid). Could these symptoms/effects be due to HSV2 or the drug valtrex? Can I be confident my RNA test was accurate?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/15/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

The symptoms that you are describing do not sound like they are related to an HSV outbreak or side effects of the medication. The RNA test for HIV is very accurate, so if it's negative you can feel pretty confident that the results are correct.

Hmmm okay thank you! Must have been another virus

You're welcome. It is the season for cold and flu and every year new mutations of the flu virus get out there. I would still keep taking the daily Valtrex because it will reduce your risk of having an HSV outbreak. Good luck to you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thank you! :)
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN