OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm 22 years old. I am very concerned. I got my period on

Customer Question
Hi I'm 22 years old. I...
Hi I'm 22 years old.
I am very concerned.I got my period on the 19th of September and it was brown spotting for a week , thereafter I had red spotting .. and now I am bleeding heavy.Why is my period so long?its almost a month. I know I am not pregnant.I am concerned . What could be the cause? What can I do? Is this normal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Well, ideally A normal period can last up to eight days, but bleeding for five days is average and there is a blood loss between 20 and 60 ml (4-12 teaspoonfuls).

In your case, it is not normal to have such long bleeding.

Possible reasons for such persistent long bleeding time are-

1. Fibroids- These are are benign (non-cancerous) growths in the muscle of the uterus.

2. Endometriosis , Infections or polyps.

3. Hormonal problems are also common cause for such condition. If you suffer from Polycystic Ovary Syndrone Or Underactive Thyroid Gland, then it may cause heavy periods.

4. Pelvic Infections.

You need to get a internal (vaginal) examination to check your neck of the womb and also to assess the size and shape of your womb (uterus).

Also- Ultrasound Scan, Endometrial sampling and Blood tests to check hormone levels would be diagnostic.

In your case, most likely cause can be- Hormonal imbalance.

Your doctor may start with hormone pills like-Norethisterone, Long-acting progestogen contraceptives or combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP).

These are prescription pills, and would most likely bleeding time, and help to regulate normal menstrual cycle.

Only doctor can prescribe these pills, and sorry to say no OTC pills, would help with your condition.

Please don't ignore it. Heavy loss of blood for long time, can lead to severe anemia.

Also in the majority of cases. heavy periods with no clear cause (dysfunctional uterine bleeding).

Please see your doctor right away and get it thoroughly evaluated.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I go to a doctor or gynecologist

You should start with your primary doctor, first and if required, they may refer you to Gynecologist.

Firstly start with your primary doctor.

God bless you and take care

Don’t forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor