OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a copper iud put in 30 years ago. Due to a lot of

Customer Question
Hi I had a copper...
Hi I had a copper iud put in 30 years ago. Due to a lot of extreme personal problems I was finally abler to go to a dr in 2005 and she told me there was no such thing and I must be delusional. I recently went and someone finally beleived me. I was put off as she told me I was lying. NOW my question is I just had a sonogram and the iud is in place. Is it within the realm of possibility just to leave it there as I have had NO problems and as I understand it would require surgical intervention. When I had it put in the dr said that it could last the rest of my life. What is your opinion thanks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: OB GYN
10/9/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 10 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Board-certified ob/gyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

If the copper IUD is within the uterus but is not bothering you and you are not having any problems, (and it cannot be easily removed), there is no harm in leaving it in place.