OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just got off birth control. And managed to get pregnant…

I just got off...

I just got off birth control. And managed to get pregnant lmp was sep. 5th. I had sex september 23rd and 16th. Im not sure when i concieved. Unfortunately they were two separate partners. I had some very light spotting on the 18th and 19th. Additionally, i had some noticibly different discharche the 19-21st. Im nearly positive i implanted on the 30th-1st. And i had the faintest positive urine test on oct. 3rd. And faint positive blood test on oct. 4th. Is there anyway to know? Or is it all guessing? This was my first month off birth control in many years and did not grt to establish a "regular" cycle. Thanks.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Fine. Just fatigued.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i can think of

10/9/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Unfortunately, based on the information you're providing, it's impossible to know which day conception occurred. Your LMP (first day of last menstrual period was 9/5. Typically, ovulation (release of an egg) occurs approximately 14 days after the LMP. This puts us at 9/19. But, sperm can survive in the reproductive tract for up to 1 week, so even if you had sex prior to ovulation, that could have resulted in pregnancy. Additionally, we do not know for sure that you ovulated exactly on Day 14, it could have been a couple of days sooner or a couple of days later. The dates of positive urine test and positive blood test unfortunately does not narrow it down either. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer than this.

I was just hoping that my symptoms of spotting and distinct discharge could be a sign of ovulation on th 19th

That is possible however it does not rule out either day as the date of conception.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN