OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother just got a transvaginal ultrasound and they said…

My mother just got a...
My mother just got a transvaginal ultrasound and they said it was normal until I saw the paperwork which said small amount of fluid in endometrial cavity What does that mean they said her thickness was 3 mm and normal my mother is postmenopausal
It says Small quantity of fluid within enomentrial cavity and is destending the endometrial cavity.
What does this mean? Is it serious?
10/8/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

In a postmenopausal woman as long as the thickness of the endometrial lining is <4mm, we consider this to be normal. (The endometrial lining is what grows and sheds every month to cause a woman to have a period, and after menopause when a woman is no longer having a period, we expect this lining to be thin...<4mm, to be precise.) Some fluid within the endometrial cavity is usually not cause for worry. Sometimes when a woman stops having a period, her cervix (the mouth of the uterus, which allows menstrual blood to pass through) can become "stenotic," meaning it sort of fuses shut. The natural fluids and mucus that the uterine cavity produces can then get trapped within the uterus and cause the appearance of fluid within. With a normal lining, a little fluid in the endometrial canal would not raise a red flag for me unless the patient had symptoms such as pain or bleeding.

No pain and no bleeding...so do you think the doctor will do anything else or just say this is fine as is? I keep reading online that it is indicative of endometrial cancer

What was the ultrasound done for?

My moms doctor wanted to check her ovaries because she is Braca 1 positive
My mother also just had a colposopy and low grade abnormal cells removed from her cervix via cryo this was on Wednesday night she got the ultrasound this afternoon. Could this be a cause ?

Ah I see. BRCA 1 increases risk of breast and ovarian cancer, so that makes sense. Are they talking about doing surgery to remove her ovaries to reduce her risk of getting cancer? A thickened endometrial lining is worrisome for endometrial cancer (cancer of the lining of the uterus) but a thin lining with fluid within is not a particularly worrisome finding. That being said, if a patient was worried, or high risk in any other way, I would offer them a procedure to evaluate the inside lining of the uterus, and your mother may wish to do that.

It is possible that the cryotherapy to the cervix caused some scarring that trapped some fluid and mucus within the uterine cavity. It's also possible that the fluid was there before the cryo. Honestly there's no way to know for sure.

Would braca make my mom high risk for uterine cancer? She isn't worried I just hope they don't have to do a biopsy for this

No. BRCA does not increase the risk of uterine cancer. The risk factors for uterine cancer are obesity, bleeding after menopause, hormone use after menopause, and diabetes. In case her doc does end up recommending that she have a biopsy (particularly if she has one of the other risk factors), have your mom take some Advil beforehand. The biopsy is not a walk in the park but most women do fine with it.

She has none of those factors. She recently had a cervical biopsy. Does that count as screening for endometrial cancer or are they two separate things? Do doctors usually biopsy both during a colposopy?

They are 2 separate things. Colposcopy and any biopsies done with colposcopy are usually to evaluate the cervix (the mouth of the uterus, from which cervical cancer can arise) while the biopsy that screens for endometrial cancer is called an endometrial biopsy and involves passing a tiny straw up through the cervix and into the uterus.

Would you if you were her doctor recommended a biopsy for her after this finding? Everything else was normal she's not obese, doesn't use hormones, and has had no bleeding.

It's so hard to answer that question without actually seeing your mom, and I would defer that decision-making to her doctor who knows her well. The risk of endometrial cancer sounds like it's exceedingly low, but on the other hand a biopsy is pretty fast and causes minimal discomfort to the patient. If your mom is having no symptoms and doesn't want a biopsy, I probably wouldn't force the issue, again because her risk of having the type of cancer that the biopsy could detect is so low.

Okay thank you so much :)

You're welcome. Are there any other questions I can answer for you? If you're satisfied with the information you've received tonight, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. I appreciate it!

Just one more question would you consider this finding common after menopause?

I would consider it to be an uncommon finding. We don't typically do ultrasounds on women after menopause unless they're actually having a problem (like bleeding, or pain, etc.) So we see post-menopausal women in clinic all day long who have no symptoms and never undergo an ultrasound, so it's impossible to know how frequently this is found in women who have zero symptoms. Your mom has a unique situation where she had no symptoms but underwent precautionary ultrasound to evaluate her ovaries. Even in a woman who is having symptoms (like bleeding), what we're really interested in is the actual thickness of the lining (and whether or not there's fluid present doesn't really matter). A little fluid has never been determined to be associated with cancer of the uterus, but thickness of the lining is.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN