OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am hoping to have some clarification on my pap smear

Customer Question
I am hoping to...

I am hoping to have some clarification on my pap smear results

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I have never had an irregular one ever and I just had one a week ago the results came back today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

With EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY.
LOW-GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (LGSIL); MILD DYSPLASIA IS
PRESENT.
FUNGAL ORGANISMS MORPHOLOGICALLY CONSISTENT WITH CANDIDA SPECIES ARE
PRESENT.
The HPV DNA reflex criteria were not met with this specimen result
therefore, no HPV testing was performed that ok

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
10/5/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your pap smear. Actually the findings of the pap smear are abnormal. The term LGSIL (low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion) refers to certain changes in the cervical lining or epithelium. "Squamous” refers to the type of cells that make up the tissue that covers the cervix. SIL is not a diagnosis of precancer or cancer. The Pap test is a screening test. It cannot tell exactly how severe the changes are in cervical cells. LSIL means that the cervical cells show changes that are mildly abnormal. LSIL usually is caused by an HPV infection that often goes away on its own. Now since your HPV test was not done due to absence of the criteria for testing, it is possible that these changes are due to a minor HPV infection which will go away on its own but sometimes these changes appear even without a HPV infection.

The guidelines state that if you are within the age group of 21-24 then a repeat pap smear would be done after 12 months however if you are between the ages of 25-29 then a colposcopy would be done next. Colposcopy is an exam of the cervix with a magnifying device. If an area of abnormal cells is seen, your doctor may decide that a cervical biopsy is needed. For a biopsy, your doctor would remove a small sample of tissue and send it to a lab for testing.

Now if you are above the age of 30 then HPV testing would be done first and if it is negative then you would have a repeat pap smear and if positive then colposcopy would be done.

But in most cases (upto 95%) a LSIL lesion requires no further care apart from monitoring and in majority of the cases the cause is BENIGN in nature.

Next the pap smear also indicted that you have fungi present in the region, candida or yeast are present in this location and can be treated with the help of simple anti fungal medications.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

How would I have gotten this HPV infection?

usually it is sexually transmitted however it can stay dormant for a number of years as well. But HPV is a common sexually transmitted disease it can also be transmitted via simple skin to skin contact as well. it can be transmitted even if the other person has no symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.