OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about taking the 1st step in the abortion…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about taking the 1st step in the abortion process

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

A few months ago and I was told to have cold cone surgery

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant and I took the 1st step in the abortion process. I have since changed my mind. Is it too late?
10/3/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
What do you mean by "first step". Almost ten weeks is too late for a medical abortion
I took mifeprex
The clinic then gave me the 4 pills of misoprotol but I haven't taken them
Ok. Taken alone its about 75% successful in inducing abortion. It blocks progesterone and cant be reversed. Some studies have shown some help with adding back progesterone in pill form but you would need to do that right away. Contact your clinic for information
If the pregnancy continues the mifeprex is not harmful to the fetus. Unfortunately even without the misoprostol it's likely to cause miscarriage without expulsion of the fetus. I'm sorry.
in other words my only choice is to take the misoprotol
No thats not at all what I said. I noted above that you could contact your clinic for advice in taking progesterone to counteract the medication you took. That may give you a better chance. Even without it , theres a 25% chance the pregnancy will survive.
You dont have to take any pill you dont want to take. Taking either pill is always your choice of course.