OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am in surgical menopause after removal of my ovaries. On…

Customer Question
I am in surgical...

I am in surgical menopause after removal of my ovaries. On HRT therapy as I am 37 years old. I began to have a clear watery discharge that has soaked my underwear. Is this anything to be concerned about? There is no smell, no itching, just the discharge. I have not had any discharge since my surgery of September 11, 2015

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Last year and it was normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that I feel significant to this. I am not on any meds I still have my uterus

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
10/2/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

and they only removed your ovaries, they did not do a hysterectomy?

Occasionally... nothing constant. That began today. I also feel more bloated than usual
Only removed ovaries. I still have my cervix and uterus
I take estrogen and testosterone creme in the morning and progesterone on the evening...bio identical

ok, thank you for those answers.

And no fever or chills?
Have you been sexually active in the past several weeks?

No fever, no chills
Had sex with my husband last week. Was very painful. I.do recall that
We don't have sex often. Maybe first time in 2 month. I contibuted the pain to that

Ok, you might have a slight bacterial infection (bacterial vaginosis) or it may just be slightly increased physiological discharge.

If it continues for the next two days, you can call and make an appointment with your OB/GYN and they can do a pelvic exam and test for infection.

Does that make sense?

Wouldn't I experience itching or foul smell?

not in all cases, if its an early or mild infection.

but would also think that its just an increase in normal physiological vaginal discharge as well since you are on the HRT

Just find odd and a bit worrisome because being post menopause
Could I have gotten this just because?
the amount and frequency it's occurring

worrying signs would be bleeding or passing clots, which would suggest thickening of the lining of the endometrium of the uterus.
The clear discharge suggests changes in either hormone levels and/or pH levels or vaginal flora (normal vaginal bacteria) are most common reasons. Does not sound like STD or pelvic inflammatory disease (pelvic infection).

But if it continues longer than another day or two, would recommend an appointment so they can evaluate and test for infection.

Does that make sense?

and any other questions about this topic that I can help you with?

No that's it

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD