OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got my HSV 1 and 2 test back and received a 1.16. This was…

Customer Question
I got my HSV...

I got my HSV 1 and 2 test back and received a 1.16.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

This was my last one and no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did have chlamydia in 2014 but other then that no

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
I have been reading information about it and am wondering if it could be a false positive
9/30/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age and gender?

Is it HSV 1 & 2 IgM or IgG positive?

Do you have any symptoms?

Are you taking any medications?
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

I am a women 25yd. the test was HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec the results was 1.16. and under comments it says "Above high normal". I do not have any other symptoms besides right pelvic pain. I am not taking any medication.

Please allow me just few minutes.
I’ll reply you back soon.
Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,HSV 2 IgG positive result indicates you had previous past exposure to such virus and IgG antibodies point that infection occurred some significant time ago.

Many people can test positive for HSV2 (genital herpes) and never have symptoms.

Once you have herpes, you always have it somewhere in your body sitting silently doing nothing i.e. it is not causing any harm. So that is not classed as being infected. However when the immune system is down it can show itself up in future (or might not), when the immune system is down.

So currently you shouldn't worry and maintain a good immunity.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Thank you. Do you think their is any chance it is a false positive or a result of chlamydia that I had?. It is just wired to be because I have been tested for this before within the past 2 years twice and never got a positive test
Hello. Are you still there

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well chances of false positive and result of chlamydia are less likely. You have herpes,as POSITIVE: > 1.10 IgG makes herpes more likely,but there are chance of false positive so specific tests like culture can be indicated.

Herpes can be contracted from skin to skin contact.

And I would recommend to do repeat testing after 2 months.

Boost your immunity.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

okay. thank you. I have more question.... Is it positive that I did had it before and it never showed up on test result or is this something that is normally detected as soon as you are tested?

HSV 2 IgG can detect in blood test 6 weeks after exposure.

it is pretty unlikely that this occurred years ago if my result were negative then?

Yes,as you had tested 2 years ago with negative results so you had exposure to herpes in last few months ago.

can you please explain false positive to me?

HerpeSelect IgG assays are highly sensitive (91%-100%) and specific (93%-100%) for HSV-2 infection, even in the absence of symptoms.
Looking at your lab values,it does seem that you have herpes,as POSITIVE: > 1.10 IgG makes herpes more likely,but there are chance of false positive less than 10 % so specific tests like culture can be indicated.

Or repeat testing after 2 months.

Hope this helps.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.