OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 51 years old, my period stopped coming at least 3 years…

Customer Question
I am 51 years...

I am 51 years old, my period stopped coming at least 3 years ago. But last night out of nowhere I started having menstrual cramps and now have a very heavy period. Is this unusual?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Just a little cramping. I was very regular every 21-28 days since I was 13 and then about 6 years ago, I went through a period of time that I would not have a period for a couple of months and then had an extremely heavy flow for almost 10 weeks. Then off and on for about 3 years I had lighter periods until they just stopped and I haven't had any for the past 3 or so years until last night.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Nephritic Syndrome and am under the treatment of a Nephrologist and my Primary Care Physician. I was very ill in February of last year and spent 12 days in the hospital with an event of acute congestive heart failure brought on by extreme water weight gain. I gained and lost approximately 100 pounds.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

are you still getting regular pelvic/pap smears?
Has there been any changes in medications over the past month?

I had a pelvic last year. No changes in meds the past month.
No typing is fine.

Ok, so since its been three years since your last menses, I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your doctor.

We'll routinely do a pelvic exam since its been a year since your last one and most likely order an ultrasound to look at the uterus.

Most of the time, bleeding is caused by fibroids (benign growths in the uterus). If there is some thickening of the lining of the uterus (as seen on ultrasound) they may recommend doing a small biopsy where they look at the tissue under a microscope.

Does that answer your question?

thank you, ***** ***** contact my doctor.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD