OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

How do I take out the marina at home I got it in at Redland…

Customer Question
How do I take...

How do I take out the marina at home I got it in at Redland Bay hospital 8 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding I would like to take it out

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I'm not on any medication and the doctor said it was alright today but I've lost the application and the instructions for it

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I'm not on any medication and not allergic to anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Than
Please
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/29/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Board-certified obgyn here. I place several Mirenas, approximately 100/year so I am very familiar with them. First of all - it is your body and if you absolutely want it out, call your doctor and they will remove it. No one can force you to keep in an IUD that you are not comfortable with. I do not recommend removal at home because you want to make sure the whole IUD comes out intact. It would also be far more comfortable for you to have the IUD removed in the office setting with a professional.

But I also wanted to mention that it can take several weeks, even up to 3-6 months for your body to adjust to the Mirena. I tell patients that they can expect irregular bleeding extending up to this time. So after 8 weeks, it's hard to know exactly how you will do with the Mirena in the long term, and typically the bleeding overall improves with time.

I hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily.

Any further questions I can answer for you? Please leave a rating by clicking on the stars above. Thank you in advance.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN