OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Had post menopausal D&C 5 weeks ago. Still bleeding ( light…

Customer Question
Had post menopausal D&C...

Had post menopausal D&C 5 weeks ago. Still bleeding ( light color) and cramping. Stopped for a week and restarted. Should I worry?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Had tissue biopsied with D&C No cancer found

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mother died of Uterine Cancer. Uterus was ultra sound. D&C followed. Still discharging after 5 weeks.Cramping.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/25/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well its been pretty long now ,if you are still bleeding then you should definitely get it reviewed by your GYN. Bleeding can last for as long as 2 weeks post procedure but 5 weeks is bit too long.

There are two possibilities.;

1-bleeding related to procedure itself

2-bleeding from some other underlying condition such as a polyp, growth or even cancer.

3- very commonly in postmenopausal women vagina becomes very dry and fragile bevause of decline in estrogen levels- so any type of manipulation done as in intercourse or here in D&C causes bleed more often/ for longer duration .

So it needs to be checked fir the source of bleed.

hope it was useful.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor