OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Just kind of a personal question. On September 20th, a girl…

Customer Question
Just kind of a...

Just kind of a personal question. On September 20th, a girl had an ultrasound that read 5weeks and 6 days pregnant.. that would make date of conception around August 10th, correct? If the man I know in fact did not sleep with her for the first time until the last week of August, what are the chances of that baby being his?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

This isn't even my record.. this is just in regards ***** ***** I know and care about.. how accurate is that early ultrasound?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/25/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

No, that is not correct. Gestational age is expressed as the number of weeks since the first day of the last menstrual period. This is a carry over from long ago when the date of the last period was the primary information that could be used to determine the gestational age. As our understanding of physiology has improved and technology has developed, the gestational dating system still is based on the last menstrual period. So, this ultrasound indicates that the pregnancy is the age consistent with a last period on 8/10/2017.

The day of ovulation occurs 14 days later. So, by this ultrasound, the day of ovulation would be around 8/24/2017.

As for accuracy, an early ultrasound is very accurate, but it is not perfect. An early ultrasound can be off by as much as 5 days. So, the correct interpretation of this ultrasound is that the day of ovulation would most likely be 8/24/2017, but it could be anywhere from 8/19/2017 to 8/29/2017.

So, if a man had sex with her the last week of August, then he could be the father. The chances that he is the father is also related to the number of other sexual partners during the last half of August. Since sperm can survive in the female genital tract for up to 5 days and conception would happen within about 12 hours of ovulation, the day of sex that yielded this pregnancy could have been as early as 8/14/2017 or as late as 8/30/2017. If this man is the only man with whom she had sex during this interval, then the chance that he is the father is 100%. But if there are other men with whom she had sex during this interval, the chance would be less.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor