OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 55 years old, stopped menstruating about 3 years ago,

Customer Question
I am 55 years...

I am 55 years old, stopped menstruating about 3 years ago, have been taking estrogen and progesterone for 2 years, have had 2 light periods within the last month, why?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I feel like I have PMS, very small cramps, I always had regular periods until I stopped menstruating 3 years ago or so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 9 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Do you have any other medical problems?

No

There are many possible causes. Some are concerning, some not.

Hormonal imbalance.

New onset of thyroid disease, adrenal disease, ovarian tumor, uterine lesion, liver disease or kidney disease.

Stress, weight loss or weight gain.

Obviously, this requires an exam from your OB doctor, pap smear and ultrasound.

It might be nothing, but you must have the exam.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.