OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I noticed some pinkish blood on the toilet paper - a

Hi Doctor I noticed some pinkish...
Hi Doctor
I noticed some pinkish blood on the toilet paper - a relatively minor amount. I checked (with some difficulty!) in the mirror and saw two small red paper cut like lines on the side of my anus
I suspect this due to excessive wiping as I had a bout of diaherra and probably went too hard over an extended period of time
Is this worth a trip to the doctor given I can clearly see the source of the bleeding?
Bleeding stopped after a few hours
Thanks in advance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having some pinkish blood on the toilet paper is most likely due to hard straining at anal region.

This is not serious or dangerous & can easily be treated by OTC treatments.I do not think there is any need to go to doctor as of now.

Following is recommended for you now:

• Please apply cream called preparation H. You can get it at your pharmacy without prescription.
  • Have sitz bath that is soak your anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day.
  • Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus to have quick healing.

All this will help you greatly.

So as of now there does not seem any need of trip to the doctor.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Hi thanks for the quick replyMy understanding was that anal fissures where pretty much always on the vertical axisThese two cuts definitely on the side of the anus ? Hence I don’t think it strainingCan over wiping cause a cut like that?H.
PS I am a 41 year old male

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,over wiping & rash from tissue paper/toilet paper can be the probable cause.

The cuts usually occurs because the skin is irritated by these toilet papers.

Please follow the above measures of sitz bath & applying cold compresses on your anus to have quick healing.

Also to prevent any infection,apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.they are available as OTC(over the counter) at your pharmacy without prescription & will help you greatly.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just to confirm - the fact that the two cuts are on the side of the anus (not on vertical axis as is typical of a fissure according to doctor google!) isn’t a concern. I was scared by google telling all benign fissures are on the vertical axis and those to the side are more serious ( trumor, crohins etc)I guess if the cause is wiping too hard (which I’m pretty sure it is) then the cut would appear wherever you wiped excessively!

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

No,this does not seem to be due to anal fissure that are usually very painful.

These are tears/deep rashes from excessive wiping by toilet paper.

Please don't search on internet. Many of the articles, are written by unprofessional, and may only lead to stress and worry.

Nothing to worry. Just follow the above measures & most likely this will subside in next few days.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Thx for reassurance - will rate now

Dear customer

Thank you for the words of appreciation & for using just answer website.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor