OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I tested positive for gonorrhea and my boyfriend tested

Customer Question
I tested positive for...

I tested positive for gonorrhea and my boyfriend tested negative and I've only been with him.. is this accurate?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I went to the ER and they gave me one last Monday

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I've only had sex with 1 guy ever and last year at my yearly check up in October I was negative for everything.. my Boyfriend and I had sex 5 weeks ago and then 2 days later I noticed I was buring when I would go to the restroom.. then last week I finally went to get tested and I tested positive and my boyfriend tested negative

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/21/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,Gonorrhea can easily be contracted from an infected partner and men, in most cases, would begin noticing the symptoms of this infection soon. Basically, a sexually transmitted disease like this couldn’t go undetected for more than a few weeks of contracting the infection.

There is no gonorrhea test that is 100% accurate, so it's hard to be very sure.

Because whoever tested him did not actually collect the gonorrhea - testing in a Male usually shows negative tests for gonorrhea while their partners have positive tests. This is because of you have to put the swab all the way to the penis deep into the penis and so many people when they test do Not do that.

So he does have gonorrhea even though he was tested negative - so He should be treated for gonorrhea as well as you - and since you have a positive test for Gonorrhea - you should be treated for it too to prevent back & froth infection and transmission to other partner and recurrence.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Should he get retested?

No need now.

However he needs to get treatment at the same time along with you to prevent back & froth infection and transmission and recurrence.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor