OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am on birth control and am on the second week of the pack.

Customer Question
Hi, i am on...

Hi, i am on birth control and am on the second week of the pack. this morning i went to the bathroom to notice blood, i put a tampon in and just took it out about 6 hours later, it was completely covered like a period would. i also had more discharge then normal day or two prior

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No pain, very regular, always land on 3rd day of sugar pills

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Missed 2 pills in a row, but other then that nope

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/21/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 9 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

When one misses the pills, there may be withdrawal bleeding. This usually goes away on its own. Though annoying, usually no active treatment is required except continuing the birth control pills.

If this persists for more than 5 days, you may need blood work for the hormones and an ultrasound for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

this wouldnt be signs of a miscarriage that i didnt know about would it? its pretty heave flow and had an unusual amount of discharge prior

Chance of miscarriage is exceedingly low. Though this cannot be entirely ruled out. Missing pills is the commonest cause of this kind of bleeding which can cause significant hormonal aberration and major bleeding.

If you were on birth control for past some time, chance of miscarriage further is lowered.

It is privilege assisting you.

Okay, thank you for the help!

You are very welcome.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/