OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My gyno said I had WBC in my vaginal Swab so she prescribed…

Customer Question
My gyno said I...

My gyno said I had WBC in my vaginal Swab so she prescribed flagyl and now my vulva and vagina is burning only after one pill.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

For awhile, which is why I went to gyno but it was unbearable last night

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an abnormal Pap smear two years ago but my recent one came out normal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Burning right after the bill is likely due to a mild allergic reaction. It's not dangerous but if it's moderate to severe I would advise you to stop the medication and ask your doctor to change it.

Generally we don't start antibiotics just because of WBC's in the vaginal swab, was there other reasons for the antibiotics?

No I've had a series of yeast and bv so she assumed that's what it was

Got it.

Well, I think I'd stop it and see how you do without it. I wouldn't continue.

I normally have burning and pain in vulva and vagina area, what do you think could possibly be causing this then?

If you normally have burning then how do can you tell that there is burning right after the medication?

Burning in the vagina is often due to allergic reactions. Depends if it's constant and what other symptoms you have with the burning.

It was unbearable burning, usually I have slight irritation at all times which is why I went to doctor, but last night instead of feeling better with antibiotics I felt horrible.

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me to the medication most likely.

as far as the everyday burning (unrelated to the medication) what could it be. I have been tested for every std and it all comes back negative. Sex does not hurt, it's just every day activities like exercing, urinating, sitting. I've also been tested for Uti and it comes back negative. The main symptoms are burning of vulva, ovary pain, back pain, and occasionally vagina ache

Everyday burning is likely contact or dietary allergy. Dietary could be anything from excess carb/sugar intake to gluten issues. Contact could be soaps, certain dyes in clothing, synthetic underwear. I have had 1 patient whose makeup was causing her vaginal itching and her herbalist finally figured it out. She stopped it and a week later all her vaginal itching stopped.

You could have pelvic congestion disorder with those pains you are describing though ovarian cysts and fibroids are also possible. None of these are dangerous but are potential causes. Allergies don't cause any sort of pains.

I have an ultrasound appointment Sunday to check for anything. If I do have cysts or fibroids what normally is the procedure to treat them.

Birth control pills treat the majority of cysts and fibroids. If that's not enough IUD's can help and if that's not enough embolization procedures are available as well.

Would it be a good idea to get an allergy testing?

Allergy testing is more for looking for anaphylactic reaction causing chemicals so it might not help you too much in this situation.

Please click on "Rating" when ready.

If you have further questions please let me know.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD