OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have my period i am 45 im on my last days and noticed that…

Customer Question
I have my period...

I have my period i am 45 im on my last days and noticed that specks of blood stay floating in the water. I am tired andnhave headaches and nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Like when i get my period

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes every month. I am diabetic

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it is likely that the specks of blood that you have can be either mucus covered with blood which can float on water or even diluted blood or even a light blood clot which is floating on water. The fact that it is floating on water does not indicate that you have a disease of any sort however the presence of fatigue, headaches, nausea can be indicative of an underlying problem. The headaches, nausea and fatigue can indicate that you have a low hemoglobin or have anemia which can occur if you have been having relatively heavy periods over the past few months or it can be present because of other reasons as well. this can be diagnosed on the basis if a simple CBC test.

Another cause of these symptoms can be a thyroid disorder, an underactive thyroid can lead to this problem commonly and can be diagnosed wiyth the help of a simple thyroid function test.

In short the floating specks of blood are less likely to be indicative of a disease process however if you havea vaginal discharge, abdominal pain etc then you can be investigated for another underlying infection in the reproductive tract.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.