OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My breast been hurting for two months now what do that mean…

Customer Question
My breast been hurting for...
My breast been hurting for two months now what do that mean
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/18/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 10 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Board-certified gyn here. Can you answer a few more questions for me?

You haven't given me a answer yet

How old are you? What are your periods like? Are you on any medications?

I'm 37 and I just started back getting my period. I had been on the depo shot. I'm not on any medication

When was your last Depo shot?

April and I just seen a period in August

Thank you for answering the questions. So the pain in your breasts could be a result of your hormones returning back to their natural state after being suppressed for so long by the Depo shot. Even though we recommend the Depo every 3 months, it can take anywhere from 3-12 months for the hormone to completely leave your body. Your period returned last month so it seems your natural hormone cycles are returning after being suppressed by the Depo. The breast pain could be a reflection of the increased estrogen in your system. We typically recommend that women start getting mammograms (a screening test for breast cancer) at age 40. If there's a family history of breast cancer in someone younger than 50 or a doctor can feel a lump on exam, a mammogram should be ordered sooner. What this means is that although it is most likely that your breast pain is related to the return of your hormones, I do recommend being seen for a breast exam to determine that there are no concerning masses or lumps. This exam can be done by your doctor or a provider at Planned Parenthood. If your exam is normal, I recommend a properly-fitted bra, Advil or Motrin, or Vitamin E supplements, which can all help with breast pain.

Good luck to you. If you are satisfied with this response please leave a rating.

Okay

I do encourage you to have a breast exam done to make sure there are no concerning lumps or masses. I thank you in advance for your rating.

Thanks

If you feel like I've answered your question adequately, please leave a rating. Thank you!