OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Fishy odor? i have this on and off. no other symptoms at…

Customer Question
Fishy odor ? Doctor's...

Fishy odor ?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I have this on and off. no other symptoms at all.... my last pap was in feb 2017 and it was normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had Bv 3 months ago and and IUD removed 2 months ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/18/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

How long does it last each time and does it resolve after you get your period?

Lasts a few days then come back. This has been in going since I tatted dating my boyfriend 7 months ago. I've never had this problem with any other sex partners. We both got std tested and I was clean. He does has hpv. Could this be me contracting it?

No, this wouldn't at all be related to HPV so don't worry about that.

However, your partner will have unique bacteria on his body that other partners won't. Every time you have sex his bacteria will transmit (normal bacteria, not diseases) and these healthy normal bacteria will cause such changes. We all need bacteria on our skin to live, it's part of us. It's the bad bacteria we worry about but the normal ones can change the vaginal odor. Eventually your body will become used to it and the smell changes will stop.

The first 3 months we never had this issue and we had intercouse daily . Can I suddenly get this odor after 3 months?

Yes, definitely. His bacteria change as well.

One trick is for both of you to start taking the same probiotics a few times a week by mouth.

We both do and even supplements
Could this be recurrent bv?

No, BV would come and stay and if you have been examined by the doctor you'd test positive for it.

How long could this odor last?

Almost never more than 2-3 months.

That's the longest I've seen patients be afflicted by it.

It's been much longer than that....

But yours resolves and comes back. So it's unlikely to be BV which doesn't behave that way.

The coming and going has to do with the bacteria that you guys are probably passing back and forth.

The fact that your guys' bacteria aren't meshing and not changing even though you are both taking probiotics is not common, I have never encountered this in my practice.

If there was an infection your OB/Gyn would have known 2 months ago when you removed the IUD.

So it would be advisable to go in and have another test done and see what else could be the cause.

I can recommend only that you try a different probiotic.

The chance of an actual infection causing this is incredibly low.

Because it's intermittent it's unlikely that any change in your diet would affect the odor.

Does your partner recognize the odor as well or mostly yourself? Has your gynecologist commented on it?

My partner is very grossed out by it.

How about yourself, is it very noticeable to you?

The only thing that's helps is the metro gel. I had some leftover and used it and it went away again and then came right back

If the metrogel worked I would advise you first have a new test done where the doc will send a sample from the vagina to the lab or look under the microscope themselves in the office. After that, they can do a trial of metronidazole oral for 7 days. If you haven't had that before that might be the best option. If that hasn't worked for you in the past or you cannot tolerate it then clindamycin oral might be an option as well.

Ok should I just ask them to test for bv? Also I took one dose vaginally last night, if I went today would it be wise or wait?

Well try to wait at least 4-5 days after a vaginal treatment because that stuff lingers around messes up the test.

We do 2 tests for BV, one is a pH paper test and the other is looking for clue cells on a microscopic slide.

One thing I forgot to mention . I am in lamictal 200mg once a day could that be anything that's doing this?

No, not at all.

Anytime you start a new medication especially in the psych category then you can see some changes in the vaginal discharge but that's only for 1-2 cycles, never for as long as you've had it.

Please click on "Rating" when ready.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD