OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Reading the news feed and it answer my question. I

Customer Question
Reading the news feed...

Reading the news feed and it answer my question. I experience the same issues monthly when it's time for my cycle. Why is that ? I also take probiotics daily. My OBGYN keep telling me nothing is wrong.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes. Last time I went to the OBGYN. I was advised I had Group B and prescribed antibiotics for it. Yet again, I am experiencing the same problem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a myometomy about 6 years ago. Also a blood transfusion the year prior.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/18/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Can you tell me what the issues are that you are experiencing monthly? I'm not familiar with the news feed which you are referring to.

BO and I think its from my viginia. Per my OBGYN nothing is wrong. I have had this problem going on 2 years to no prevail. My last trip to my OBGYN and persisting there was an issue she ran another test and I was told I had Group Step B. I was prescribed antibiotics another month later, the same problem arose

So you are experiencing a strong odor or are you having a lot of discharge or discomfort in the vagina as well? And is it only around your period and resolves after that and comes back the following cycle?

it's really right before my cycle. No discharge or itching ... Nothing, just odor. I have even taken extra steps to keep that area clean... Shaving & waxing.
I thought it was BV but, was told no due all the many test results.

It likely isn't BV but let me explain to you what's likely going on. So right before your period the consistency of the normal vaginal discharge will change. You'll also have some cervical discharge on top of the normal vaginal discharge. When these mix the odor can change. This doesn't have to BV or anything serious but some can find it unpleasant of an odor. I always have my patients ask their partners (if they are comfortable) to see if in fact it is malodorous. Often times my patients have a different sensory perception right before their period and so it might be a much stronger odor which isn't strong to others (partners). Let me know what your thoughts are on this and I can guide you further on this.

I forgot to mention. I have problems with fibroids. I had a myosure done last year. But, still have several fibroids remaining.
Per my spouse, he thinks I am crazy because he doesn't smell anything!
However, when I am out and.about I notice people's reaction and it say so !!!
This issue has affected my social life tremendously.

Well, I don't think you are crazy but it's quite possible that the smell is something you are more in tune with and possibly not something that others could perceive since your smell might be overly keen right around the period.

what is your suggestion ? I was told about boric acid ????

I must say I have rarely encountered any patient who has had a vaginal odor so strong that others around them react. Have you tried confirming this with friends and family? I am totally aware that it's not easy to do but in such a severe case I would easily be able to tell in my exam room when I examine a patient and I would never feel uncomfortable sharing that with my patient.

I would definitely stay away from boric acid especially if the doctor ran tests and no infection was found.

There is only one sure way to change the smell of your discharge and that's either with birth control (hormonal pills) or through changing your diet.

Working on the diet thing. But, birthday control pill may have to do. I don't want to take them ( weight gain). Any over the counter products you can suggest?

Probiotics but they would have to be specific for women. And only ingestible ones, nothing placed inside the vagina.

Taking Renewal Life Women's Vaginal now.. Usually purchase them from Whole Food. They keep them in fridge there

Perfect.

Thank you for the ear. Praying things will work out for me.:-)

I'm sure they will!

Stay positive.

Please click on "Rating" when ready.