OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

From the bottom of my left labia, where it connects to the…

Customer Question
From the bottom of...

From the bottom of my left labia, where it connects to the opening of my vagina (I believe the frenulum), is a swollen, yet flappy, stretch of "skin" that goes to my anus. I noticed one day ago it had an uncomfortable feeling in that area-like it was a constant itchy feeling, but if I touched it with moderate pressure I had a sharp pain. Today it is a constant burn/sore quality to it, and when I touch it-especially wiping (so very gently) it shoots a sharp pain really bad in comparison to the sharpness yesterday. There is no sign of infection and I have not had any trauma to the area. Could this be a hemorrhoid that connects to the bottom opening of my vagina?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Since one day ago. What makes the discomfort better is no pressure to the area-which is hard in the area it's in with working, kids, etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/16/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well it does need a physical examination. Would be helpful if you could share a photo of that area

Have you noticed any discharge , foul odour ,itching around there? The commonest and likeliest cause is still an infection of vulva. You should apply clotrimazole topically ,take oral pain relief like tylenol or naproxen and see how it goes.

If it doesnt settle in a couple of days ,you may need to get a swab test done.

Hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

I could not find a picture anywhere close to what I have going on. Sorry it took so long for me to come up with the two pictures I sent.
No odor. No discharge.
Did you get the two pictures?

Let me have a look

Have you had constipation recently ? Had to strain or push hard for bowels?

Every 3-5 days approximately I get on the constipated side for at least 1-2 BMs. Very soft and formed other than that. Been this way for about a year now. Doesn't make sense, but it always does it like that.

Well it could be external hemorrhoids but it will need a closer physical exam to be exactly sure about that.

Daflon is very effective in such cases, it helps reduce the inflammation down there.

You can apply topical lignocaine to help relieve the discomfort.

Antibiotics may be required e.g metronidazole and ciprofloxacin.

For now take pain relief and apply lignocaine . You surely need to get it examined though

It doesn't appear to be a hemorrhoid, of any I've ever seen for sure! But, I'm at a loss for what is going on.
Are you familiar with anything like this? Just speaking of the anatomy/visualization of what I've said? Not necessarily symptoms or knowing diagnosis, but just have you ever seen anything like it?

It could be a cyst or a boil thats evolving so you need to wait and watch so as to see how it progresses.

Is there another doctor I can speak with?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you have inflammation of the labia Majora or labia minora in the posterior inferior aspect.

what is your height and weight?

do you have excessive sweating in the area? excessive moisture and sweating can cause irritation of the skin

baby powder can help with that

if you sit for long periods of time, this can cause irritation of the posterior labia there as well

this doesn't sound like hemorrhoids.

I am 65" and 185#. I do not have problems with sweating in that area. I am on my feet equal or more than I am sitting throughout each day.
I've never had this happen before, so I wanted to reach out before trying treatments. It looks absolutely nothing like any hemorrhoid I've ever seen. It feels as tissue would having been rubbed or the like to cause the fragile tissue to swell, but it is not firm or bulging. I put some HC 2.5% cream on it late last night/morning after speaking with the other guy and not getting anywhere. It provided relief.
I am curious to know how this came about more than anything. I do not have loose skin or anything resembling the structure of where this flappy skin came from.
I had immediate concern due to my mother having Bowen's disease.
I imagine I unknowingly caused some sort of friction that led to this.

that is good the 1% hydrocortisone cream is providing relief.

this doesn't sound like Bowen's disease or a squamous cell skin cancer issue in the labia.

you could have a small blocked vaginal gland or a blocked or swollen bartholin's gland in the area causing the sensitivity.

sometime walking for a long period of time or tight pants or tight underwear can cause friction irritation in the area as well

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thank you for your time.

you are welcome

nylon underwear could also be irritating to the area

cotton underwear are often more breathable and better.

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor