OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on the birth control Aviana. I have been on it for 3…

Customer Question
I'm on the birth control...
I'm on the birth control Aviana. I have been on it for 3 months. I finished my period and started a new pack on September 2nd. On September 3rd I took the pill and then had sex. Now the last few days I have been getting stringy brown discharge. I still have 7 more pills to take before my period. I'm getting worried that maybe the pill didnt work. Although I have been taking it every day. I'm also std free. Please let me know what this brown discharge is. Thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/16/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Some break through bleeding or discharge like this can occur while taking hormonal contraceptive as they alter your hormone levels so this is most like due to hormones. There is nothing much to worry about as far as it is not fresh bleeding, it can be old discharge from your period as well. So wait and monitor for now.

Hope this helps.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.