OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Just before each of my periods for three months, I have

Customer Question
ended up with an infection...
Just before each of my periods for three months, I have ended up with an infection. I treated for a yeast infection which didn't clear and was told it was bacterial. I treated that and was good until my next period. That time, I was tested and was found to have urea plasma and yeast present. That was treated with an antibiotic followed by diflucan. It seemed to clear up and was feeling normal until last weekend, two days before my period, I am having discomfort and painful intercourse all over again. I'm not sure where to go from here or how many times my insurance will pay for labs. Is there any way hormones could be playing a role? I am 45, exercise regularly, take probiotics and eat well but feel a little 'off' at the moment.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Only that I have been under a bit of stress following my husband's heart attack earlier this year.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well you need to get a repeat tests. Painful intercourse can signify an infection. Any other symptoms like discharge or foul odour?

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified