OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I gave birh 6 months ago. I am on norethindrone birth

Customer Question
control. Breastfeeding.When i will get...
I gave birh 6 months ago. I am on norethindrone birth control. Breastfeeding.When i will get my period? And i am having weight gain problems and mood swings.. maybe there is other option of control with less invasion maybe patch?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/13/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually it is normal to experience missed periods after giving birth while you are breastfeeding as it is documented that you may not get your period during this time or you may get a period then not get one for several months. The periods become very unpredictable during your breastfeeding phase and usually return to normal once you stop. Now given your weight gain and mood swings , it is important to rule out other causes for the missed period as well. This means that first of all you should be investigated for thyroid problems, it is very common for a woman to develop thyroid disorders in the immediate post partum period. This is usually hypothyroidism which means that the thyroid gland is underactive or is producing less amount of thyroid hormones. This would cause the weight gain. missed periods as well as mood swings. The diagnosis can be made very easily with the help of simple thyroid function tests and then can be treated with medications. Once the thyroid problem is controlled, the periods return within a month or two if this is the cause.

Regarding what other options you have, i assume you are talking about birth control? in place of norethindrone? If so those would be considered once the other cause sincluding thyroid dysfunction is ruled out.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor