Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I've been in what I'm pretty sure is menopause for a little

Customer Question

Hi I've been in what I'm pretty sure is menopause for a little over a year with no period with all the side effects including hot flashes very little sleep but almost 3 full weeks now I have had a very heavy period with a lot of cramping and a very heavy flow that doesn't seem to be stopping and is taking quite a toll on me I'm very tired and grumpy any answers by chance
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I am alot of cramping and it's been over a year since I've had one I'm 51 years it just worries me because no signs it was coming on and very heavy and clotty
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response within a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response and i did not send it, i will be back with your written answer in the next few mins. Thanks for your patience!

Well from what you are describing it does sound like that you have undergone menopause and now the bleeding that you have been experiencing can be considered as post menopausal bleeding. Post menopausal bleeding can be due to a number of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could ahev developed polyps inside the reproductive tract. These could be cervical polyps, endometrial polyps and this can be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and also with the help of a pelvic ultrasound.

Another cause of this could be associated with thinning of the lining of the uterus which can occur after menopause has set in. This can lead to bleeding of the sort that you are experiencing. This would be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and usually it can be treated with simple medications. Paradoxically, the lining of the uterus can also increase in thickness which is known as endometrial hyperplasia and that too can cause abnormal amount of bleeding.

In short there are numerous causes of bleeding of this sort to occur and it is important to get this evaluated, the fact that you have been bleeding for the last three weeks means that you should get this evaluated as soon as possible before the blood loss becomes too severe and you start experiencing symptoms of anemia. I would suggest that you visit your OB/GYN as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.