Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 68 yrs old and had a hysterectomy in October of 1995.

Customer Question

I am 68 yrs old and had a hysterectomy in October of 1995. Just recently had an x-ray of my pelvis and they found clips in my pelvis and a calcified lymp node. I have osteo arthritis, and have osteittis pub is. Why are those clips still there?
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: Last year, but year before did 2 because the Dr. Said sometimes when your dry the cells come up funny. No problem after that.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, but do have left ovarie, was left in. Having trouble with sacrum and coccyx. Pain and sciatica down left leg. Was shot with cortisone in L5-S1.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Yes, foot. Lost feeling in calf, foot, toes, except for nerve shooting pain. My foot now is flopped and need a cane to walk. My insurance has denied MRI three times now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The clips that are used in surgery are going to be there for the rest of your life. These surgical clips are metallic, and your body cannot absorb them. Since they are metallic, they are very visible on plain x-rays. Metallic surgical clips are used in surgery because they are strong and will last for a very long time. They can be used to close off blood vessels that are cut to remove organs. They are preferred over sutures in certain circumstances because they are stronger and will last until a stronger scar forms. An artery that is tied with sutures may bleed, either immediately, because the suture is not as strong as the clip, or later if the suture slides off or is partly absorbed by the body. The strength and durability is not needed for everything in surgery, so sutures are still used for many purposes, but clips are used in many different surgeries.

Surgical clips are used in various other surgeries, such as to close off the bile duct when the gallbladder is removed.

So, the clips are still there because it is the usual method to use clips that would still be there.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.