Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have 1.16 on HSV1...but HSV 2 is normal, I'm a man, No

Customer Question

I have 1.16 on HSV1...but HSV 2 is normal
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: I'm a man
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Have you had any symptoms of either oral or genital herpes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My ex had a cold sore once but we did not contact during

It will take a while to type a complete answer, and I will post it once it is complete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tu

The blood test for HSV1 of 1.16 is positive, in that any result above 1.1 is considered p[ositive. The problem is that a mildly positive result can be a false positive result. In someone with a history of typical symptoms, a mildly positive result is sufficient to confirm the diagnosis. But in someone with no symptoms or atypical symptoms, a mildly positive result is not sufficient to make a diagnosis.

The negative result for the HSV2 is reliable.

If it is desirable that a definitive answer be obtained for HSV1, there are definitive tests, such as a Western Blot test. However, many medical experts recommend that additional testing in someone without symptoms is not necessary. The reasoning for this is that this knowledge would not change anything. HSV1 is very common, and most adults are infected with the virus. There is no recommended restrictions or alteration in activity for someone that is infected, other than the common sense avoidance of contact with another person when there is an active sore. Since someone with no symptoms never has active sores, there is nothing that needs to change, even if the confirmatory test is positive. If nothing is going to change, there is no reason to spend the money on a test, unless you simply want to know.

So, while this test for HSV1 is positive, it cannot be considered definitive. A confirmatory test can be done, but there is a good rationale for not getting tested.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?