OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a transvaginal ultrasound done this... I had a

I had a transvaginal ultrasound...
I had a transvaginal ultrasound done this...
I had a transvaginal ultrasound done this morning. This the reading:Technique: Routine transvaginal pelvic ultrasound.
Findings: A small hypoechoic lesion is demonstrated within the
cervix. The left ovary exhibits prominent hypoechoic foci. The
largest measuring 1.0 x 1.0 x 0.9 cm. The overall ... view full
9/12/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have the full report?

it got cut off

largest measuring 1.0 x 1.0 x 0.9 cm. The overallsize of the left
ovary measures 2.81 x 2.04 x 2.30 cm. The right ovary also
demonstrates a large hypoechoic lesion. This measures 1.31 x 1.39 x
at least 2.00 cm. The overall size the right ovary measures 2.82 x
1.80 x 1.83 cm. This lesion does exhibit septations. There is no free
fluid.
Impression: Bilateral ovarian cysts. This is much greater on the
right than the left.
Nabothian cyst.

why was it done?

I have been having extreme lower abdominal pains and nausea

The cysts definitely could be the cause

are you overweight with excessive hair growth?

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
I am 5'6" tall and weigh 210 lbs. I have a small amount of excessive hair growth

Ok. You probably have PCOS

polycystic ovarian syndrome

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/home/ovc-20342146

What is a recommended treatment for that? I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago so I have no uterous. I have been on birth control for the last 4 months and that has not helped

a drug called metformin

Would you recommend having the large cyst on the right removed?

No I would try the metformin first

Do you think that the complex cyst could be cancerous? I have been sick on and off for the better part of year. I also have arm pain and neck pain that sometimes goes into the submandibular gland

No I don't think so. I would get a CA 125 blood test to confirm

What does it mean when it says the lesion is septated? Also what is the difference between foci and lesion?
Septated just means separated off. Foci is a specific point. Lesion is the whole thing