Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I'm taking marvlon but while taking the previous pills box,

Customer Question

hello! I'm taking marvlon but while taking the previous pills box, i took nitrofurantoin for few days but as it was sold out!!!! in the country im living so i took ciprofloxicin. few days before finishing the pills i had unprotected sex. then i got my period during the break although one day late. started the pills again and went to mt gyn. took an ecography and all as clear but she said even if i am pregnant she would no be able to see, so i took pregnancy test from pharmacy, negative. this month did not have sex but now during break my period is late. I never forget pills, no vomit or diarrhea. i was told that those antibiotics do not interfere but couls i got pregnant at that time even my period came? sorry if i d\seem paranoid but living in a country where it is a crime for non married women
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.
Hi,Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. But i would like to reassure you that if you have had a period then it is not likely for you to get pregnant. Getting your period essentially RULES OUT you being pregnant, this is because it is physically impossible for a woman to be pregnant if she is getting her period. The period indicates the absence of a pregnancy because throughout the month your uterus is getting ready for a pregnancy and once there is no pregnancy, the uterine lining starts to break down and you get your period.Secondly you had a negative pregnancy test which would indicate that you are NOT pregnant. A urine pregnancy test is accurate even though you were on antibiotics at that time. But the fact of the matter is that since you got your period last month, YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT.There can be many reasons for your period to be late, the commonest one is a hormonal imbalance which can occur in women who have recently experienced infections like you have and who are under some stress or anxiety. There are infact many reasons for a hormonal imbalance to occur and it is likely that your period is late because of this and NOT because you are pregnant. Additionally you have been on birth control as well which would prevent a preg***** *****ke this from happening.So in short since you had your period, YOU CANNOT be pregnant.Do you have any more questions?Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below, http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/