OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I started my period yesterday morning and last night when i

Customer Question
was wiping and a hard...
I started my period yesterday morning and last night when i was wiping and a hard seed like object was on the toilet tissue it was dark red or nearly black in color and tiny. but hard like a rock. what could this be?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: of what?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: husband and I have been trying to conceive for 11 months now with no success I am 26 and he is 25. other than that I am perfectly healthy
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/9/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the most likely thing that this hard object could be is a congealed blood clot, if a blood clot is left for a period of time it may change its consistency to very hard or sort of like a rock in some cases. Given the color and the appearance of the object, it is likely that it could be a congealed clot. Apart from that it could be that some fibers from your underwear or clothes were loose and got pushed up inside the vagina and during your period there were covered with blood and thus changed into a hard rock like object. That is one possibility here. One other possibility is that the object that you passed is old blood which has been left inside the uterus from your previous period or from mild bleeding which you have experienced in between the periods (not apparent to you, just mild internal bleeding) that again when passed outside can have this sort of consistency.

Lastly this could be a foreign body which could have gained entry during sexual intercourse such as fibers from clothes etc etc which was left behind inside and is now been passed out.

Apart from this there are no diseases in which you would pass hard rock like objects during your period, even in infections caused by parasites you would not pass hard rock like objects. If this was a problem with the uterus, the consistency would be different , usually firm to soft. During a miscarriage, the materials expelled are again firm to soft in consistency.

I would suggest that you simply monitor the situation and if this occurs again, keep the object with you and have it analyzed by taking it your doctor. But i think this is a one off event and should not occur again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor